Tourism is the biggest single industry in the world, and sports/lifestyle sports sector continues to grow as a major marketing tool and opportunity for destinations and travel related companies.
Tourism Sports Marketing has the talent, expertise and track record to assist a few select client partners in developing strategic plans to maximize both economic impact and media/marketing benefits for their destinations.
TSMI utilizes a strategic planning process which includes:
- Establish the major goals for the project.
- Research - history, trends, motivating factors and all relevant data.
- Strategic objectives and considerations.
- Tactical options and considerations.
- Produce the final plan.
- Assist client with ongoing support.
Television Events & Marketing Inc.[TEMI] emerged out of The Kiely Company Inc., which Tom Kiely created for the purpose of providing research, analysis and strategic marketing planning for destinations and travel related companies. The company is expanding once again and creating a new division… Tourism Sports Marketing International… designed to assist destinations in developing strategic plans to maximize benefits from this growing travel sector.
In the early ‘90’s, sports and television media were becoming recognized as major marketing tools for destinations and Tom Kiely was commissioned by his client group to investigate this new phenomenon and create opportunities for Hawaii and his other clients. This altered the direction of the company, so the name was changed to TEMI and the resulting track record is impressive.
Client Project History
In the early years, the client list included the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, Tahiti Tourism, New Zealand Tourism Board, Nevada Commission on Tourism, the Hawaii Tourism Authority, Outrigger Hotels & Resorts, Aston Resorts, Maui Visitors Bureau, Oahu Visitors Bureau, Hyatt Resorts, Atlantis Resort, Island of Lana’i, Hawaiian Airlines, Saipan Tourism, Starr Siegle Advertising, Ogilvy and Mather Advertising & Marketing, and others.
TV Media & Content
Produced over 335 feature television shows based upon active lifestyle and endurance sports with a distribution platform that includes ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox Sports, Amazon TV and others. Our team has won 47 Emmy and Telly Awards for production excellence. The reach and impact of this TV distribution platform in 2017 exceeded 55 million viewers in the USA and this does not include incremental international distribution on ESPN International and European syndication.
Designed, produced and distributed multiple active lifestyle television series and feature shows:
- XTERRA Championships [off-road tri and trail running]
- Hawaiian International Ocean Challenge [lifeguard event]
- Waikiki Kings Race [ocean endurance event]
- Diamond Head Wahine Classic [windsurfing]
- Nevada Passage [stage race adventure competition]
- Liberty World Challenge [outrigger race in New York / Hudson River]
- Hawaiian Adventure TV Series.
- New Zealand Action TV Series
- XTERRA Adventure TV Series
Ongoing production of digital media and distribution in cooperation and coordination with the marketing plans of our clients. The overall XTERRA media platform produces more than 3 [three] Billion impressions yearly, with great marketing benefits to the participating destinations.
- Founder of Oahu Visitors Bureau [original name was Waikiki Beach Operators Association].
- Created the Hawaiian OceanFest of ocean related competitions featuring professional lifeguards and ocean athletes from around the world. Prominently featured on ESPN originally and then expanded to global television syndication. Major media promotion for the Waikiki resort area and State of Hawaii.
- Produced the Tour O’ Hawaii cycling classic featuring the top national cycling teams from 20 countries. Major media promotion for State of Hawaii.
- Designed and produced the Hawaiian Mountain Tour of both stage racing and downhill mountain bike racing.
- Researched, developed and produced the original sports marketing strategy plan for the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
- Produced an ESPN one hour special show featuring the famous Hawaiki Nui Va’a, Tahiti’s major outrigger canoe championship in which seventy teams race island to island over a five day period. Produced at the request of Tahiti Tourism.
- Created the first noteworthy off-road triathlon on the Island of Maui, and it was/is called XTERRA. This one small event in 1996 grew to become the XTERRA World Tour of off-road endurance sports which, at this time, spans 35 countries including more than 300 events.
- Designed an endurance sports media event for the Office of the Mayor of Jersey City, NJ.
- Designed, produced and filmed the “Nevada Passage”, a multi-day team adventure competition that started in Las Vegas and ended in Reno, NV. Part of the national lifestyle marketing campaign for Nevada Commission on Tourism and featured Land Rover as the Signature Patron sponsor.
- TEMI developed the XTERRA brand of events, media and trademarks which has led to the acquisition of the brand by Portland based XTERRA Sports Unlimited [www.XTERRAPlanet.com].